One reason many Republicans in Congress aren't acting to protect the Mueller investigation is that they think no one outside of DC cares about Russian interference in the 2016 election -- or whether Trump colluded or obstructed justice to cover it up.
A letter to the editor giving your opinion and calling on your lawmakers to take action can change their mind. This is one of the best ways to get the attention of your representatives and personalize an issue to bring it close to hime.
Step 1: Find your paper
The most effective letters to the editor are written in the local, hometown papers. This is where your congressperson's staff is looking to figure out what their constituents think -- not the New York Times or Washington Post.
Find the website for your local newspaper or online news service (county dailies, a local weekly, community magazine/paper) and find their letter to editor page.
- Determine what restrictions they have for letter submissions (word count, information about you, connection to a previous news story, etc.)
- Choose one. It's best to only submit a letter to one paper, most local papers won't publish it a letter sent to multiple outlets.
Step 2: Write your letter
The letter should come from you, and be written in your own voice. Keeping the word count and other restrictions from your chosen paper in mind, write your letter including your own words answering these questions.
Who are you?
- I have lived in Central City for 20 years, and care about making sure our democracy is representing the people in our community.
- As a eighth-grade teacher, when I teach my students about democracy, I teach them that their voice matters.
- I am a community activist working to clean up the local river, but we can't have environmental reform until we have a democracy that works for us.
- President Trump tried to fire the Special Counsel investigating collusion his campaign had with foreign governments.
- The Russia investigation is catching up to the President, and he'll do whatever he can to stop it.
Why does it matter?
- The need to speak up to protect this investigation just got even more urgent. There is no way to predict what President Trump will do next -- we must act now.
- Trump asked for FBI Director James Comey’s loyalty -- then fired him when he didn’t get it.
- We know President Trump pressured administration officials to say he wasn’t under investigation, or told obviously compromised ones like Jeff Sessions not to recuse themselves.
What do you want?
Be specific. Call on your legislator by name and demand they protect and support the Mueller investigation.
- I demand that Rep. Smith work to protect and support Special Counsel Mueller's investigation.
- Rep. Smith must support bipartisan legislation to protect the Russia investigation.
- Congress must take action IMMEDIATELY to ensure Trump can’t interfere in Mueller’s investigation.
Step 3: Submit your letter (and follow up!)
Then, call the paper and ask for the editorial desk or whomever processes Letters to the Editor.
Just say: "Hi my name is ______, and I submitted a letter to the editor today on my local take on the news about the Mueller investigation. Can you check to make sure you received my letter? Thanks so much!
Step 4: Reach out to us
We want to know what our members are doing in their communities to make a difference. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Letter To Editor" to let us know about your letter, especially if it gets published!