Voting on Election Day

Poll Hours: 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Poll Hours: The Government Accountability Board has a polling place lookup available at

ID Requirements: You are NOT REQUIRED to show photo identification to vote in the 2014 General Election due to a recent decision by the United States Supreme Court.

Election Day Registration: You may register to vote at the polls, but you must have lived at your current address for at least 28 days and must provide proof of residence (such as a state ID with your current name and address or a utility bill received within the last 90 days with your current name and address). You must also provide either the number and expiration date of your current and valid Wisconsin driver's license or Wisconsin DOT-issued ID card or the last four digits of your social security number (only if you do not have a WI license/WI DOT-Issued ID card).

If You've Moved within the State: If you have moved to a new Wisconsin address less than 28 days before Election Day, and you were registered to vote at your previous Wisconsin address, state law says that you should vote at the polling place for your old address.

If You Changed Your Name: For the purpose of voting in Wisconsin, a name change is not effective until you have updated the name on your Wisconsin driver's license, Wisconsin state ID card, or Social Security card. If your name has changed since you registered to vote, but you have not updated your name with the Wisconsin DMV or US Social Security Agency, you should continue to vote under your old name. If you have updated your name with one of those agencies, your name on the poll book needs to conform to the name you registered to vote under. However, if your entire previous name is contained in your new name -- such as, if you hyphenate your name -- the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board has decided that the names conform (but it is recommended that you update your registration).

If You Have a Felony Conviction: If you have been convicted of a felony and you are currently serving any portion of your sentence (including extended supervision, probation, or parole), you may not vote. However, if you have completed your sentence (and are no longer under the supervision of the Department of Corrections), you are eligible to vote, but you must re-register to vote (which you can do at the polls).

Poll Challenges: State law allows registered voters and election workers to challenge the eligibility of a voter, but the challenger must be asked why he or she believes the voter is ineligible. The only proper grounds for a challenge are that the voter is not a citizen of the United States, is not at least 18 years of age, has not resided in the election district for at least 28 days, has a felony conviction and has not had their civil rights restored, has been adjudicated incompetent, or has voted previously in the SAME election. Election officials will ask the challenged voter questions to verify their eligibility. If the voter confirms their eligibility and agrees to take an oath of eligibility, they will be allowed to vote. If you are challenged and you are unable to verify your eligibility, call 866-OUR-VOTE for assistance.Provisional Ballots: A provisional ballot will not be counted unless you provide the required information to the poll workers by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day or the municipal clerk by 4:00 p.m. of the Friday following the election. If you cast a provisional ballot, call 866-OUR-VOTE for assistance on completing the process and having your vote counted.

Additional Information:
If you have trouble voting or have questions, call Election Protection at 866-OUR-VOTE

Take Action

The Supreme Court gutted a key provision of the Voting Rights Act.

Tell Congress to fix the court’s bad decision!

Take action.


Give Today