Raising Awareness to Reduce the Influence of Money in Politics in New Mexico
What Are We Doing?
We are asking New Mexicans to sign the “New Mexico Pledge” that details policies that can reform money in politics here in New Mexico. This is part of a positive, nonpartisan, and uniquely New Mexican public education campaign that will engage New Mexicans on the issue of money in politics and explain the personal impact of the current system. This election cycle is an important opportunity to draw attention to the influence of money in politics as New Mexicans are inundated with electoral advertising, often without knowing who is paying to influence their voting decisions.
The pledge asks citizens to support:
- Improving disclosure in elections
- Improving disclosure in lobbying activities
- Developing disclosure technology infrastructure
- Establishing a state ethics commission
- Proposing policy models to implement public campaign financing at the municipal and state levels