Legislative Agenda and Events for 2014
The 2014 legislative session runs January 8 through April 7. Common Cause Maryland is offering a lot of opportunities to get involved, stay informed, and take action. Make sure to follow us on Facebook or Twitter and sign up for email alerts to get the latest updates!
What We're Working On
We have an aggressive suite of bills to ensure that citizens’ voices are heard in all aspects of the political process, from funding elections to setting policy:
- Turn the tide against dark money in elections by requiring shareholders to be on notice of political spending by their corporation, and advancing public funding for state elections;
- Fully fund secure paper-trail voting machines and strengthen legal protections against voter intimidation or harassment;
- Tighten up reporting requirements for lobbyists and increase the wait time before public officials can serve as private lobbyists;
- Reform the broken process by which Congressional and legislative districts are drawn;
- Ensure that public data is truly accessible to the public.
Some of our initiatives are gaining traction this session and others will set the agenda for the next four years. You can read our full legislative agenda here. If you would like to receive periodic updates with our full list of bills we are tracking, email CCMD AT CommonCause.org and simply put in the subject list "Please subscribe."
Lobby Like a Pro
Every other Tuesday starting January 14, 7:15pm
Gain a deeper understanding of how the session works, and how to influence legislation through the process. Whether you have some experience working the halls of Annapolis or have never even contacted your elected official, this course is for you. The course will include a bi-weekly webinar that will include instruction by Executive Director Jennifer Bevan-Dangel and guest speakers. Although the class has been ongoing, you can join at any time. Register here!
We look forward to working with you in 2014 for an open and ethical government!