Welcome to Common Cause's press center.
Here you will find our latest press releases, advisories, reports, statements, letters, and testimony. If you're a reporter and have a question, or would like to sign up to receive our press releases, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contact Mary Boyle at 202.736.5770.
Recent Press Releases
- Presidential Public Financing System Needs Strengthening, Not Dismantling
- March 11, 2014
Congress is moving in exactly the wrong direction with passage of a bill to end the use of public funds to support presidential nominating conventions, Common Cause said Tuesday.
- Group Tied to President Obama Opened White House Doors for Major Donors
- March 5, 2014
Despite public promises that it would not do so, a lobbying and advocacy organization with close ties to the Obama administration appears to have promised some major contributors special access to the President and federal officials in return for their financial support, Common Cause said today.
- IRS Must End Misuse of Nonprofits to Hide Political Spending But Proposed Rules As Drafted Need Major Revisions, Common Cause Asserts
- February 28, 2014
The “social welfare” organizations and other tax exempt groups that funneled hundreds of millions of dollars from anonymous donors into the 2012 presidential and congressional elections ran a “charade (that) must not be repeated,” Common Cause asserted today.
- Common Cause Statement on House Passage of HR 3865, to Preserve the Social Welfare Tax Loophole for Political Non-Profit Groups
- February 26, 2014
Today’s vote continues a shameless, partisan-inspired campaign on behalf of secrecy and deception in politics and government. We urge the Senate to stop it.
- Common Cause Urges FCC to Reclassify Broadband and Protect Open Internet
- February 19, 2014
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) should provide consumers the maximum protection possible by reclassifying broadband as a telecommunications service, Common Cause said Wednesday.
- Proposed Comcast-Time Warner Cable Deal Is Affront to Public Interest
- February 13, 2014
Regulators at the Federal Communications Commission should promptly and emphatically reject Comcast’s proposed purchase of rival Time Warner Cable, Common Cause said today.
- Common Cause Statement on Introduction of the Fair Elections Now Act
- February 12, 2014
Today’s introduction of the Fair Elections Now Act invites senators to declare their independence from big money campaign donors and refocus their attention on the everyday folks who elected them.Today’s introduction of the Fair Elections Now Act invites senators to declare their independence from big money campaign donors and refocus their attention on the everyday folks who elected them.
- Congress, President Must Staff Election Assistance Commission
- February 12, 2014
Congress and President Obama should work quickly to fully staff the federal Election Assistance Commission (EAC), a 12-year-old bipartisan panel created to help states meet voluntary standards for administering elections, Common Cause said today.
- Common Cause Statement on Introduction of the Government by the People Act
- February 5, 2014
"Giant corporations, special interests and ultra-wealthy donors shout through big-money megaphones to drown out the voices of hardworking Americans in the political process," said Karen Hobert Flynn, senior vice president for strategy and programs at Common Cause. "This is bold legislation that would elevate our voices and free congressional candidates to work for us, not their big donors. Common Cause commends Congressman Sarbanes, Leader Pelosi and others championing this effort.
- Common Cause Urges Ethics Probe of Rep. Michael Grimm
- January 29, 2014
Congressional investigators should open an inquiry into the conduct of Rep. Michael Grimm, R-NY, who was caught on camera threatening a reporter on Tuesday night and already is the subject of a federal investigation for possible campaign finance law violations, Common Cause said today.
- Common Cause Statement on the State of the Union Message
- January 28, 2014
President Obama has another chance tonight to embrace and advance the promise that propelled him to the White House, the promise to change Washington. We urge him to seize it.
- Commission Delivers Bipartisan Blueprint for Upgrading Elections
- January 22, 2014
President Obama’s Commission on Election Administration has given the White House, Congress and state leaders a much-needed blueprint for repairing and modernizing the broken machinery of our elections, Common Cause said today.
- Editorial Memo On Common Cause Filibuster Lawsuit
- January 17, 2014
Knowing of your interest in the rules of the U.S. Senate, and the filibuster rule (Rule 22) in particular, I wanted to update you on Common Cause v. Biden, Common Cause’s lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the filibuster.
- Common Cause Statement on Introduction of New Voting Rights Act
- January 16, 2014
"This bipartisan update of the Voting Rights Act goes a long way toward ensuring that every citizen has a clear path to the ballot box," said Karen Hobert Flynn, Common Cause’s senior vice president for strategy and programs. "We commend Congressmen Sensenbrenner, Conyers, and Lewis and the rest of the bill’s co-sponsors for their steadfast leadership and encourage Speaker Boehner and Majority Leader Cantor to clear the bill’s path to passage within the next six months so that all eligible voters can have their voices heard in the 2014 election.
- Copps Urges Caution as Lawmakers Weigh Communications Act Overhaul
- January 15, 2014
Congress should be wary of plans to overhaul the 18-year-old federal law governing broadcasters and telecommunications companies and should focus first on making the existing law work as its authors intended, former Federal Communications Commission member Michael Copps said today.
- Demos President Tapped to Lead Common Cause
- January 14, 2014
Miles Rapoport, former Connecticut Secretary of the State, state legislator, and nonprofit leader to take reins of venerable public interest organization
- FCC Must Act to Preserve Open Internet
- January 14, 2014
The Federal Communications Commission must step up to protect consumer interests and preserve the Open Internet in the wake of a federal appeals court ruling jeopardizing the easy access to popular websites and applications enjoyed by millions of Americans, Common Cause said today.
- Common Cause Launches 10-Year Project to Build Blueprint for a Great Democracy
- December 12, 2013
- Common Cause this week launched a 10-year, collaborative effort to craft and build popular support for a new “Blueprint for a Great Democracy.”
- Rep. Slaughter, Public Interest Groups Release New Evidence That Federalist Society Annual Dinners Are, Indeed, Fundraisers
- December 5, 2013
WASHINGTON, D.C., DECEMBER 5, 2013: A Member of Congress and two public interest groups released new evidence Thursday that Justices of the Supreme Court and a judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit have flouted judicial ethics by speaking at dinners to raise funds for the Federalist Society.
- Corporate Reform Coalition Statement on the Securities and Exchange Commission's Shift on Political Spending Disclosure
- December 3, 2013
- The Corporate Reform Coalition is deeply disappointed by and demands an explanation for the removal from its agenda of the most widely supported rulemaking in the Securities and Exchange Commission’s history. The agency chose to put the political spending disclosure rule on their docket for consideration based on its strong support from investors and the potential risks to companies from secret political spending. The decision to drop this rule and others from the 2014 Commission agenda is a step back from the SEC’s proactive agenda to protect investors.