ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Working under the direction of the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Assistant performs a broad array of activities related to benefits administration and general HR administration. This position organizes and coordinates the wellness program and regular HR Connect trainings and serves as an important resource to national and state staff. The Human Resources Assistant also oversees the administration of the intern program.
- Actively participates in the recruitment process, including, but not limited to, posting positions, applicant tracking and screening, scheduling interviews, and reference checks;
- Maintains current new hire materials and forms and termination packages;
- Plans and organizes orientation, schedules, and staff trainings for newly-hired staff with all relevant departments;
- Assists with benefits administration and open enrollments; reviews monthly benefits invoices for accuracy and collaborates with the Finance Department;
- Serves as a liaison and resource to national and state staff for all employment and benefit related questions;
- Organizes and executes wellness program and HR Connect trainings; identifies topics and trainers, schedules training, invites staff, and follows up;
- Organizes and coordinates intern program, including recruitment and hiring; orienting; attending intern and job fairs; works with staff to identify needs and roles for interns; maintain intern records;
- Maintains human resources files and prepares for external audits;
- Assists with special reports and projects related to HR as needed.
- Great opportunity for HR beginner to roll up their sleeves and become completely immersed in Human Resources;
- Associate degree or equivalent work experience; two or more years of relevant work experience; or coursework in Human Resources a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, work under pressure and perform a variety of tasks in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; enjoys working with people;
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity;
- Able to take initiative and to be a self-starter, must be able to take direction;
- Must be well organized; have the ability to work comfortably and accurately with details;
- Familiarity with Word, Database, and Excel spreadsheet programs;
- Working knowledge of Social Media Tools; i.e. Facebook, Twitter;
- Commitment to the mission of Common Cause.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE:
Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to restoring core values of American Democracy, reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard.
Founded 45 years ago, Common Cause has 1,000,000 members and supporters, and chapters in 35 states around the country. At the national and state level, Common Cause is actively engaged in defending and advancing the core values of our democracy, which include politics not dominated by money, full access to voting and fair elections, economic opportunity for all, an ethical and accountable government, and an open and democratic media. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.