ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Director of Foundation Relations plays a key role in Common Cause’s foundation fundraising program, working closely with the Associate Vice President for Foundation Relations to raise funds for both the National and State offices (totaling approximately $5 million). The Director will be responsible for managing a portfolio of current and prospective funders to increase overall support for the work of Common Cause.
The core responsibilities include prospect research and identification, proposal and report writing and submission, prospect and donor relationship management, and monitoring progress toward goals of grants within portfolio.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit new foundation prospects and steward existing foundation funders.
- Help to manage administration of current grants, including tracking deadlines, collecting information from program staff and the finance department, writing and submitting timely proposals, reports, updates and stewardship reports, and letters of inquiry.
- Monitor progress toward grant goals and ensure timely and accurate spenddown of grant funding.
- Work closely with Program & State staff to package ongoing programs and develop concepts and cases of support for new initiatives; this requires ongoing effort to build and maintain a thorough knowledge of Common Cause’s priorities and activities.
- Play a key role in assigning and managing the portfolio of relationships to be cultivated by program staff and in coaching program staff to effectively cultivate those relationships.
- Secure meetings with foundation contacts and facilitate meeting logistics and follow up; duties include preparing advance background briefings for meeting attendees, creating contact reports, coordinating future action steps, etc.
- Support Senior Management staff and/or Board members working with current foundation donors and/or foundation prospects.
- Maintain and update development files, tracking contacts, assignments, and staff activities through the use of development database and other tools.
- Assists with other departmental projects and related work as assigned by the Vice President of Development.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of foundation fundraising experience; demonstrated track record of success in securing five- and six-figure grants.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, research, and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational, team leadership, and time-management skills, proven ability to plan, meet deadlines, and efficiently manage multiple tasks and priorities under tight time constraints.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as member of a team; supervisory experience a plus.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include DIRECTOR OF FOUNDATION RELATIONS in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.