- Collaborate with the state executive director to develop, strengthen, and maintain a grassroots organizing network across the state.
- Create and implement campaign plans for priority multi-year campaigns including protecting statewide public financing of elections, building municipal public financing of elections, and early voting.
- Build coalition support, organize members and educate the public and elected officials on Common Cause’s work and campaigns.
- Develop public outreach materials including factsheets, action alerts, presentations, online updates, and email blasts.
- Recruit and develop diverse leadership of grassroots members, especially youth and people living in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Develop and coordinate trainings for grassroots activists on legislative advocacy, elections reform, and other skills as needed.
- Work with, gain support, and convene a conference of local election officials and elected officials to gain support for priority campaigns.
- Stay abreast of legislative and organizational developments throughout the region, building and maintaining relations with key Congressional and state targets.
- Coordinate rapid response in-person events that may include petition deliveries, rallies, stand-up news conferences, and other creative actions that earn media attention.
- The position is based in Hartford, CT; it will require significant travel around CT. This is a part-time position.
- At least 1-3 years of experience in organizing, advocacy, project management, or similar fields.
- Working knowledge of statewide democracy issues including money in politics, voting rights, ethics, and more.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. We will, however, consider non-degreed candidates with exceptional organizing experience.
- Experience as community organizer working in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Commitment to political reform and social and economic justice.
- Willingness to work flexible hours – including occasional weeknights and weekends.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Candidate must have access to a vehicle to travel to sites. As the position requires operating a motor vehicle as part of the job duties, a valid driver’s license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check is required. Common Cause reimburses mileage for personal vehicle use as part of job duties.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and include Common Cause Connecticut Organizer and YOUR NAME in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE:
Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to restoring core values of American Democracy, reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.