ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Common Cause Maryland is seeking a summer intern to assist with advocacy campaigns, grassroots engagement, research, policy development, communications, and member outreach and events. Individuals with keen interest in government affairs and the legislative process, can-do attitude, and commitment to a fair and transparent democracy are highly encouraged to apply.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Assist staff with all a range of advocacy and communications activities, including:
- Assisting with grassroots efforts such as phone outreach to current and potential supporters and general petition gathering to raise awareness of reforms;
- Mobilizing communities to hold politicians and corporations accountable;
- Researching campaign donations and transparency reforms, with the goal of releasing several reports over the late summer and fall;
- Assisting with policy development, social media, and other written outreach particularly around money in politics and voting reforms;
- Organizing and promoting events including policy forums and rallies;
- Meeting with elected officials, coalition partners, and community groups to discuss good government reforms and our long-term agenda.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be passionate about good government issues. Must be self-motivated and able to work independently. Excellent writing, researching, and editing skills are required; must be familiar with Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel. Experience with Facebook and Twitter are helpful. Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse range of community partners. Good listening and communication skills.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include SUMMER RESEARCH INTERN – MARYLAND in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546.
This is an unpaid position; however, the position may qualify for college credit. Scheduling is flexible based on applicant’s schedule. A commitment of 10-20 hours per week is required. Must be able to come to the Annapolis office on a regular basis but work may be done remotely. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.